MOMS & BABIES FIRST
Moms & Babies First is here to help mothers and babies be as healthy as they can be – during pregnancy, after the birth and for life.
NEED FOR PRENATAL CARE
Too many babies born in Toledo and Lucas County die before their first birthday. Toledo Lucas County Health Department reports that more than half of these babies are African American.
Even more babies have life-long health problems because they were born too early or too small. Most of these babies could have been born healthy if their mothers had received prenatal care.
That is why it is so important for a pregnant woman to take care of her health and see her doctor regularly before and after the baby is born.
HELPING MOMS STAY HEALTHY—AND HAVE HEALTHY BABIES
The Moms & Babies First program provides services moms need to be healthy and stay healthy during and after pregnancy.
Through Moms & Babies First, professionally trained community health workers (CHW) help pregnant moms and their babies get the support and services they need.
HOME VISITS TO ENSURE BABIES’ HEALTH
A regular visit to moms in their homes before and after the baby is born, teaching women ways to keep the growing baby healthy.
• Assistance with keeping medical appointments
• Assistance enrolling in WIC (Women, Infants & Children) program
• Home visits before and after the baby is born
• Assistance with identifying health care for both mother and baby
• Teaching moms how babies develop and grow
• Referrals for support services (based on each mom’s need)
• Help for moms who want to finish school or get their GED
• Follow up care to ensure your new born sees the pediatrician at NHA Pediatrics, Nexus Health Care, Navarre Park Family Center, or Holland Health Care
For more information about perinatal services available at a Neighborhood Health Association care center near you, call 419.255.7883.